Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentines-Day One

Remember those fun flower barrettes I was making for Elizabeth's dance class...we'll ladies (and gentleman ?)...here is the finished product:


I simply used a Stampin' Up! Medium Cello Bag to fill with a few items to make this darling little gift sack.  I first lined the back using the Springtime Vintage Designer Paper and slid in my little barrette, a small chocolate heart and a Valentine's chap stick. 

Here's a little more of a close up.  I used the coordinating decorative paper at the top of the bag with the eyelet border punch and some champagne glass glitter to make it all sparkly and pretty.  I stapled the little bag topper on, but to give it a little more character, I added a clothespin covered with the Pear Pizazz 1/2" stitched ribbon and some buttons. I LOVE clothespins to add a little dimension and a whole lot of "cute factor" to packagings and cards!

Sometimes it's the packaging that really makes a small (and inexpensive) gift special!

Now, one to Allison's Valentines.  Since Tea Staining the fabric the other day...I wanted to do MORE. So, I did a little online searching on Paper Tea Staining

Wait until you see this!

Unlike the Fabric Tea Staining, where you put the fabric INTO the steeped water....with the paper staining you just use the tea bags to do the work.  So, I made myself a big cuppa tea with three tea bags and let them steep for about 10 minutes or so...


Take the tea bags out and squeeze out a lot of the excess tea...you don't want to soak your paper.  I squeezed the bag until damp and then blotted the paper.  I chose a decorative paper with a light background that would really show the aging well.



You will need to let them dry completely before you start adhereing them to your project.  Remember, it's paper and water...the paper is going to curl...IT'S OKAY. It just adds to that aged, well loved look!

Here is the before and after...
Are you loving this as much as I do??? It just gives you a whole other directions to go with your  papers!  I am on a Tea Staining rampage! I just LOVE the look!

The tea stained element was the basis for Ally's valentines this year..I went cute and vintagey. I had to make 21 of these for her class.  I really like making the 3x3 cards...quicker...and cute to boot!  Another "go to" item I used was Kraft Cardstock (Crumb Cake would be perfect too!). It's the perfect fit if your not sure where you're going to take a card (like when I started with this). It looks great with almost anything you put with it. Here I stamped the kraft cardstock with the largest stamp in the Fresh Cuts set in whisper white craft ink, added my tea stained element and then adhered a Springtime Vintage fabric heart (more on that in a minute) and I tied off a button with linen thread. Done.

The inside? 

Simple stamping with room for Ally to write that special someone's name and her signature.

Now, do I think that any 8 year old is going to appreciate this handmade valentine? Probably not. But I know that Allison loves that I made them...and maybe some Mom out there will go through her child's valentine bag when they get home from school and will smile when she's see's it... 

BUT,  just to make sure the kids like it a little bit...I am using my two-way glue pen to add a little Valentine eraser to the inside! Sometimes, it's the small things...

Well friends, Elizabeth's Valentines have been distributed at dance class, Ally's are ready to go...now I need to excuse myself and get creative for Jack's class...I can't wait to share what turn out to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment